We need volunteers with experience in Environmental Geology for a presentation to a home-schooling organization (children +/- some parents) in September. Please contact Steve Johansen (email@example.com) if you can assist.
News & Announcements:
Become a Volunteer!
The Educational Outreach Committee provides geoscience learning resources to students, educators, and the general public of southeast Texas. Outreach activities include:
- Geoscientist visits to classrooms, scout troops, and other public assemblages, with presentations and hands-on activities about geology and careers in geoscience.
- Field trips to explain geologic processes and the geologic profession for non-geologists.
- Assistance to other HGS committees and like-minded organizations which share our committee’s goals.
- Provision of resources, such as links to web-based programs and videos, posters, and handouts, to educators and the general public.
- Participation in other opportunities as they arise, to encourage the development of educator skills in the geologic sciences and to educate the general public on geologic matters.
Representative events include:
- Presentations at area schools and scout troops on minerals, rocks, and fossils, with hands-on samples for participants to hold.
- Presentations on geoscience careers.
- Booths, poster sessions, and talks at STEM enrichment events, career days, and the Houston Gem & Mineral Show.
But none of this is possible without the participation of HGS volunteers.
Interested? Please contact Steven Johansen at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Committee Chair - Steven Johansen email@example.com
Committee Co-Chair - Letha Slagle firstname.lastname@example.org