HGS.org Terms and Conditions of Use
1. Acceptance of Terms.
This Web site is owned and maintained by the Houston Geological Society (HGS), Houston, Texas, USA. HGS provides this online service to users subject to the following Terms and Conditions, which may be revised by HGS from time to time without notice to any user of the Web site. The Terms and Conditions in effect on any particular date shall govern all users’ use of the services provided by this Web site on that date. A user may review the current version of these Terms and Conditions at any time at this Web site. Implicit in anyone’s use of any of the services provided by this Web site, is acknowledgement of an agreement to abide by these Terms and Conditions.
2. Permissible Use of Web site.
HGS.org is owned and operated by HGS and is protected by copyright. Reproduction, distribution, retransmission, or use in a commercial manner any of the information or materials provided on HGS.org is prohibited without the prior written consent of HGS. Any user is authorized to download a copy of information or materials provided on HGS.org for personal or, non-commercial home use only and as long as the copyright or other proprietary notice is not removed or obscured.
HGS may receive and record information on its server logs from a user’s browser, including the user’s IP address, page information about the pages the user accesses, and information about the Digital Files the user downloads, for the purposes of tracking usage volume.
HGS does not rent, sell, or share information about any Web site user with any organization with the following exceptions:
• HGS will respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process or to establish or exercise its rights or to defend against claims and when
• HGS may determine, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected illegal activities, suspected fraud, suspected violations of these Terms and Conditions, or otherwise as required by law.
4. Third-Party Information.
HGS.org may provide hyperlinks to Web sites maintained by third parties. HGS has no control over third-party Web sites and does not necessarily endorse the content of linked Web sites. In addition, HGS may allow users to post information or otherwise use interactive services, such as online community message boards. HGS does not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed by its users.
When posting information or otherwise using any interactive service that may be available to you through HGS.org, a user agrees not to post or otherwise distribute any information, material, or software that:
• violates or infringes the rights of others;
• is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, obscene, profane, deceptive, fraudulent, an invasion of privacy, or otherwise violates any applicable law;
• contains unauthorized or unsolicited advertising;
• contains a computer virus or other item of a destructive nature.
Although HGS has no obligation to monitor information posted by users, HGS reserves the right to remove any information or material posted by users at its sole discretion.
If a user posts information on HGS.org or otherwise uses any interactive service that may be available to you through HGS.org or provide any feedback or other input to HGS, that user thereby grants HGS the right to copy, reproduce, use, disclose, exhibit, display, transform, create derivative works from, and distribute such information to others without limitation. Such information may be cited by HGS for any purpose without compensation to the contributor.
5. Limitation of Liability.
In no event will HGS be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special, or other consequential damages for any use of HGS.org or any linked web site including, without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your information handling system, or otherwise, regardless of whether HGS is advised of the possibility of such damages.
7. International Use.
HGS makes no representations or warranties that the information or materials on HGS.org are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States. You assume the risk in accessing HGS.org from outside the United States and are solely responsible for compliance with all applicable laws.
The user acknowledges and agrees that HGS may, without prior notice, immediately terminate the user's authorization to use this Web site. Causes for such termination shall include, but are not limited to:
• a breach of these Terms and Conditions,
• the request by law enforcement or other governmental agencies,
• the request by the user (self-deletion),
• the discontinuance or modification of the services provided by this Web site,
• any unexpected technical or security issues or problems,
• extended periods of inactivity by the user,
• fraudulent or illegal activities of user, and/or
• non-payment of any dues or fees owed in connection with the services.
In the event that any provision, or part of these Terms and Conditions shall be held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions, or parts thereof, shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.
For further information about Terms & Conditions please call: 713-463-9476.