The Houston Geological Society is a society with a global view. The HGS includes students, geologists, geophysicists and academic experts. Our objectives are to stimulate interest and promote the advancement of the geosciences, to disseminate and facilitate discussion of geological information, to enhance professional interaction among geoscientists, and to aid and encourage academic training in the geosciences. As an HGS member, you will receive special privileges, discounts, and priority event registration. If you are an active AAPG member, please support this society and become an active HGS member!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Membership does not start automatically when you submit payment. You must meet the qualifications for membership and be approved by the HGS Board of Directors before your membership is active. If your membership lapses and is not renewed consecutively per year, you may have to re-apply for membership and go through the full process of approval.
There are three (3) membership types for joining Houston Geological Society that you may apply for: Active, Associate, and Student. In addition, there are two (2) special membership classes that can only be awarded by the Board of Directors: Honorary Life and Emeritus.
In order to qualify for Active Membership, you must have a degree in geology or an allied geoscience from an accredited college or university or, have a degree in science or engineering from an accredited college or university and have been engaged in the professional study or practice of earth science for at least 5 years. Active Members shall be entitled to vote, stand for election, and serve as an officer in the Society. Active Members pay $30.00 in dues.
Associate Members do not have a degree in geology or allied geoscience but are engaged in the application of the earth sciences. Associate Members are not entitled to vote, stand for elections or serve as an officer in the Society. Associate Members pay $30.00 in dues.
Student membership is for full-time students enrolled in geology or an allied geoscience. Student Members are not entitled to vote, stand for elections or serve as an officer in the Society. Student Member dues are currently waived (free). Students will have a 24 month grace period after graduation. After a student graduates and receives a job, he/she must apply for Active membership to HGS.
SPECIAL MEMBERSHIP TYPES
The Executive Board may from time to time elect as Honorary Life Members persons who have distinguished themselves in the science of Geology, or who have contributed outstanding service to the success and welfare of the Society.
Honorary Members shall also be considered Active Members, but shall not be required to pay dues.
Members who attain the age of 65 and have been Active members of HGS for a minimum of 10 years may request Emeritus status by contacting the HGS office. Emeritus Members shall also be considered Active Members. Emeritus Members pay $15.00 in dues.
- Membership Administrative Year: July 1 through June 30.
- Annual dues are $30.00
- Emeritus members (over 65) pay $15.00
- Fees are currently waived (free) for full-time students who apply to be members
- For an additional $150.00 you can subscribe to receive a copy of the printed HGS Bulletin (10 issues/annually)
Renewing your Houston Geological Society membership is easy. Just follow these instructions!
1. Log in to your HGS account by clicking ‘Login’ on the top right on the homepage
2. Locate the ‘Membership’ menu tab and select the ‘Renew Membership’ option
3. From here, you will be taken to the online membership renewal form.
Click Here for the Membership Renewal Form
1. Go to ‘Membership Renewal’ page
2. Select the option labeled ‘Click here for the printable membership application’
3. Print and fill the form out with either your credit card information or a check made payable to the Houston Geological Society and mail to the HGS office (14811 St. Mary’s Ln STE 250, Houston, TX, 77079) or scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Call the HGS office at (713)-463-9476 with your credit card information ready and we will be happy to assist you over the phone.
If you have already renewed, we thank you for your continued support and participation. We look forward to seeing you at our meetings and conferences. Our society would not be the strong and vibrant entity in the oil and gas industry if it were not for your financial support and dedication to spreading the word about our events.
We encourage online credit card payment by filling out the online membership application form. If necessary, a check can be made payable to HGS to be mailed to:
Houston Geological Society - Membership, 14811 St. Marys Lane, Suite 250 Houston, TX 77079
Explore our connections and join 3800+ fellow HGS members as a part of a proud heritage and the LARGEST geological society in the world!