HGS North American Meeting- The State of Private Equity in Oil & Gas
Important! Please do not create a duplicate login if you already have one. If you have forgotten your password click the "Request new password" tab above to reset your password.
In order to register, please click login to either sign in to an existing account or create a user profile. Go to the HGS home page and login with your user name and password and then return to this page in order to register as a member or guest of a member. For help registering contact the HGS office or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
5:30pm - 8:00pm
HGS Member- $30.00, Non-Member- $35.00, Student- $10.00
The dynamics between sources & uses of Private Equity Funds have become vital & relevant in benchmarking returns and value add in portfolio assets.
5:30pm Introductions : Mark Hamzat O. Erogbogbo
Acquisitions and Dispositions in Energy, Oilfield Service, Water and Waste Industries
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of assets from a private equity portfolio company for $300 million in the Permian basin.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of assets from a private equity portfolio company for $525 million in the Permian basin.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of assets from a private equity portfolio company for $75 million in the Permian basin.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of assets from a private equity portfolio company for $275 million in the Permian basin.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of assets from a private equity portfolio company for $17 million in the Permian basin.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of large independent with assets in Canada, Australia, Guatemala and Argentina and its related petroleum products businesses for a purchase price of approximately $3.6 billion
- Lead counsel for an energy service company and its shareholders in connection with the sale of the company for $40 million to investors in the Middle East.
- Lead counsel in connection with the acquisitions of concessions for water and wastewater facilities throughout the United States.
- Lead counsel in acquiring over 20 landfills and other treatment, storage and disposal facilities throughout the United States.
- Lead counsel in acquiring water rights and infrastructure to be used in connection with fracking operations in South Texas and Permian shale plays.
- Lead due diligence counsel in the acquisition of numerous affiliated companies and assets in the Gulf of Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma for a purchase price of $1.3 billion.
Deborah Byers | EY | Americas Industry Leader
Deborah is the EY Americas Industry Leader responsible for infusing a sector focus into all we do and activating market-leading integrated solutions. She also helps multinational energy companies navigate volatile markets and complex business issues to drive shareholder value.
She has been with Ernst & Young LLP for 32 years. With more than 30 years of transactions and industry experience, her proficiency includes structuring and financing corporate expansions and joint ventures, integrating assets and working with cross-border transactions.
Deborah previously served as the US Oil & Gas Leader, Houston Office Managing Partner, Transactions Leader and Managing Partner for the EY Strategy and Transactions group in the Ernst & Young LLP Southwest Region. She is also a part of the firm’s Energy Center of Excellence based in Houston.
She frequently authors reports on timely energy issues; works with leading industry organizations; and speaks at conferences on matters relevant to the energy industry and women in business, as well as transactions for tax professionals.
Deborah holds a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Baylor University.
How Deborah is building a better working world
“As a leading female voice in the Energy sector, I strive to bring diversity of views and inspire young women to feel they belong and can succeed in a field traditionally dominated by men. I bring a passion and focus to help solve our most complex problems as we face the global energy transition.”
Josh Sherman | Opportune
Josh is the Partner in charge of the Complex Financial Reporting group of Opportune LLP, including oversight of the firm’s Denver and Tulsa offices. Josh has 20 years of experience in providing clients across the energy spectrum with technical research, capital markets and SEC reporting assistance. Josh and his team of over 30 professionals have led all financial statement and disclosure aspects of the Capital Markets process for dozens of IPOs, reverse mergers (de-SPAC transactions), and debt and equity private placements within the upstream, midstream, oilfield services and power sectors. In addition, he assists over 100 clients across many industries annually with researching, concluding, and reporting for the most complex transactions affecting their businesses. Prior to joining Opportune, Josh worked in the audit and global energy markets department with Deloitte & Touche, where he managed the audits of regulated gas and electric utilities, independent power producers, and energy trading entities.
Josh currently serves as an Independent Director of U.S. Energy Development Corporation, a private direct investment upstream operating company located in Arlington, Texas. Josh previously served on the board of directors as Audit Committee Chairman of JP Energy (MLP), Trans Energy, and Voyager Oil & Gas. Specifically, as the Lead Independent Director of Trans Energy, Josh initiated and led the company’s successful restructuring and ultimate sale to EQT – a transaction recognized by the M&A Advisor as a winner for the 2017 M&A Deal of the Year ($100MM-$200MM).
Outside of Opportune, Josh has been involved in several community and school activities. Josh currently serves on his alma mater’s Executive Committee of the McCombs Energy Initiative at the University of Texas at Austin, the Executive Leadership Team (former Co-Chair) of the American Heart Association’s Paul “Bear” Bryant Award honoring college football’s Coach of the Year, and the Advisory Committee of the AICPA/PDI Oil & Gas Conference. Josh is also a past Board Member and Audit Chair of the Literacy Council of Fort Bend County.
Richard Ball | Detring Energy Advisors
Richard Ball is a Certified Petroleum Geologist who worked both conventional and unconventional reservoirs with Chevron for 10 years, including onshore US, Gulf of Mexico Shelf/Deep Water, and West Africa Shelf. He has served as Treasurer and Secretary on the AAPG Executive Committee and continues to serve as Councilor for the AAPG Division of
Professional Affairs. Mr. Ball is a proud graduate of Stephen F. Austin State University and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, where he earned his B.S. (2005) and M.S. (2007), respectively. Richard joined Detring Energy Advisors at the end of 2016. Since then, he has assisted the company in completing over $2.8B of transactions and launching Petro Divest Advisors, a small-cap advisory firm.
- Detring Energy Advisors was established in 2014 to bring best-in-class A&D expertise to the mid-cap market along with its sister company, PetroDivest Advisors, serving the lower middle market since 2018. Since our establishment, Detring has advised on >US$3.7 Bn of A&D assignments across 95 transactions, with >US$25 Bn of collective experience across our 20 team members.
- Detring fills the void between online listing services (which focus on deal volume) and bulge bracket banks (where group heads and senior staff focus on larger transactions), while providing the dedication and expertise of the latter to middle market assets
- Our firm knows the middle market buyer universe: We proactively add to our buyer network through outreach efforts, resulting in a valuable, proprietary database of aggressive acquirors, which results in well-attended processes and outlier bids
- Detring’s core philosophy centers around lowering perceived risk for potential buyers, which fundamentally translates to higher valuations for our clients. Detring’s in-depth technical A&D analysis of a seller’s package provides a hands-off divestiture experience for the seller and a comprehensive, error free data room for buyers
- Detring has an unparalleled background of advisory experience across all major United States basins, through a solid mix of advising on conventional and unconventional assets, minerals and leasehold, operated & non-operated
|Jan. 2022 Virtual NA Dinner|
|HGS Member||$ 30.00|
Event Filter Informations